The National CASA/GAL Association, together with state and local member programs, supports and promotes court-appointed volunteer advocacy so every child who has experienced abuse or neglect can be safe, have a permanent home, and the opportunity to thrive. The 948 state organizations and local programs in the CASA/GAL network harness 97,000 volunteers to advocate for 276,000 children annually.
National CASA/GAL seeks a Policy Extern to advance the mission of the organization.
The Policy Extern supports the work of the General Counsel, Chief Public Policy Officer through policy research, writing, and analysis, development of public policy goals and strategies, recommendation of best practices, and preparation of resources in areas related to best-interest advocacy for children who have experienced abuse or neglect. The Policy Extern will exemplify the Office of Legal Affairs values: (1) Providing Pragmatic Advice, (2) Providing Strategic Guidance, (3) Centering on the Needs of the Judge, the Child, the Family, and the Advocate, (4) Thinking from the Perspective of the User, (5) Anticipating Needs, and (6) Engaging in Thought Leadership.
The 2021 Policy Extern will have the opportunity to make a substantial impact in support of CASA/GAL advocacy by developing public policy plans, resources, and toolkits.
- Conducts policy research related to best-interest advocacy for children in the child welfare system
- Prepares written deliverables setting forth the results of the research
- Makes recommendations on effective ways of working in the current public policy framework and advocating for changes to public policy to optimize the impact of CASA/GAL programs and volunteers and promote family preservation, thriving children, and racial equity
- Develops written public policy goals and strategies, resources and/or toolkits
- Other duties as required
Skills the Policy Extern Can Develop in this Position
- Public policy research
- Writing and presentation (particularly, user-centered design)
- Advocacy (written and oral)
- Critical thinking
- Public policy goal and strategy development
- Time management
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate level program relating to public policy or an adjacent field
- Strong interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and the ability to work independently
- Ability to embrace and exemplify organizational competencies and values, including a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Exceptional project management, prioritization and planning skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
The Policy Extern will earn course credit and will not receive financial compensation or benefits. The Externship may occur any time during the months of May and September 2021, subject to the mutual agreement by the Policy Extern, the school, and National CASA/GAL. Hours will depend on the schedule of the Policy Extern, the course requirements, and the needs of National CASA/GAL. For 2021, the Policy Extern may fulfill the duties from anywhere in the United States, and will not come to a National CASA/GAL office. The Policy Intern will report to the General Counsel, Chief Public Policy Officer. To apply, submit a letter of interest, a resume, and a current school transcript to Russell Jacobs at Legal@nationalcasagal.org.
Adaptability ◦ Collaboration ◦ Integrity ◦ Respect ◦ Quality ◦ Service ◦ Stewardship
National Court Appointed Special Advocate/Guardian ad Litem (CASA/GAL) Association for Children
100 WEST HARRISON, NORTH TOWER, SUITE 500, SEATTLE, WA 98119