January 21, 2021
Thank you for making this a happy new year
On behalf of the National CASA/GAL Association for Children, I want to take a moment to say thank you for your generous support. I am heartened knowing that so many individuals have care and concern for the children and families we serve. Because of our dedicated donors, partners and stakeholders – we are able to serve 276,809 children and youth who need a caring adult by their side. These children have experienced upheaval and uncertainty, but they each had a CASA or GAL volunteer beside them, supporting and advocating for them through an incredibly difficult year.
Though 2020 brought so many difficulties with it, I have found inspiration in the myriad ways CASA/GAL volunteers have demonstrated resilience, creativity and determination to stay connected to the children they serve and bring stability to an otherwise chaotic year. I want to share a few highlights of what your support helped make possible last year:
- National CASA/GAL provided its state and local programs with emergency grant opportunities in response to the immediate impact COVID-19 had on the network’s in-person training, meetings and program operations. We distributed more than $300,000 in funding to the CASA/GAL network through emergency grants, personal protective equipment (PPE) grants and technology grants.
- National CASA/GAL made adjustments to take our pre-service volunteer training online, combined with webinar trainings for CASA/GAL staff and volunteers, led to 3,694 staff and 5,246 volunteers receiving training during the pandemic.
- During the summer, we launched a network-wide book club in which staff and volunteers engage in facilitated dialogue on a series of readings. The first series of the book club, focusing on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI), led to thoughtful small group dialogues and virtual discussions with renowned authors, Dr. Ibram X. Kendi and Richard Rothstein.
- National CASA/GAL provided more than 250 pass-through grants, totaling over $4.8 million to state organizations and local programs in 44 states and the District of Columbia. These grants were awarded in several categories, including growth, development, mentoring, state branding and professional development.
- Our marketing campaign, Change a Child’s Story™, continued to increase public awareness of our mission, with many state organizations implementing the campaign locally.
The year ahead still holds some uncertainty, but it also brings a sense of hope for good things to come. The National CASA/GAL Association remains focused on our critical work in service of realizing our vision of a world where every child has the opportunity to thrive in a safe and loving home. Your support will help to change a child’s story.
On behalf of all of us – staff, volunteers, fellow supporters and the children who look to us for the hope of a brighter future – thank you for helping make this a Happy New Year.
Tara Lisa Perry
Chief Executive Officer
National CASA/GAL Association for Children